If It's On the Internet...It MUST Be True!

According to an article that I just read on MSN.com, if you wish to increase traffic on your site...simply be a jerk. I am SHOCKED to hear this of course, since all of MY readers are charming people, but I have noticed that other people aren't quite so lucky.

All you have to do is make a brazenly erroneous remark, be testy, be sarcastic, be negative, or even simply misspell words and use poor grammar, and people will flock to your postings, simply panting with desire to Prove You Wrong. People are entitled to their own opinions of course, although I can certainly understand the outrage over poor spelling and punctuation...but that's simply because I am a pedant. And because I don't notice when I actually misspell something, and because I only recently learned how to edit.

So...if I type in that I consider Winick to be a douchebag...am I being provocative or simply factual?

Please discuss.

Violently if possible.