I Just Had a Thought!

Well, actually I've had several, but this just struck me for some reason. Do you all recall, that waaaay back when the idea of Agent Orange had just come up, and Geoff Johns was doing his re-telling of Hal's origin in Green Lantern? There was a lovely bit with Hector Hammond discovering the meteorite powering Abin Sur's space ship, and the way that it turned him into the mind-reading, huge-headed lunatic that we all know and love.

At the time, I remember being struck by the fact that the coloring was conspicuously presented in...Orange. Naturally I thought that Johns was giving us some not-so-subtle clues! Well, I was wrong of course, it is never THAT easy. And Agent Orange turned out to be Larfleeze anyway. And yet...going back and looking at it again, there WERE clues! Because Hector Hammond has been freed by Kronos, and swallowed the Orange Battery, so now basically he is Ophidian, the Greed Entity. So actually he IS Agent Orange in a roundabout sort of way!

I don't know why, but this strikes me as being rather cool. And it is yet another reason why just about everything that Geoff Johns does in a Green Lantern book has meaning. Somehow and somewhere, that insignificant clue may show up and end up being rather important.

It makes me want to see more of Hammond, that's for sure. Considering his obsession with Hal, this may just backfire on Kronos.