The Wonder of it All

So. There is a rumor going around that Wonder Woman is getting a new outfit. The boys at my beloved Comic Book Shop asked me for an opinion. It has been ALL over the blogs, AND it actually appears in the Wonder Woman #600 issue. So...having weighed the evidence before me, I suppose that it is time that I add my small voice to the cacophony of opinion.

Photobucket

It's...ok, I guess. My very first sight of it, was that I don't mind the black leggings, and the red top is alright. I HATE that stupid little jacket however. It seems so very pointless. She probably isn't cold, and I would think that it would be quite constricting, especially to a woman who has rarely fought while wearing sleeves.

I also am unsure whe exactly she feels the need to wear spurs. Jonah Hex, I can understand, but Wonder Woman? I mean really...spurs?

Was running around in a star-spangled bathing suit any more efficient for crime fighting? Of course not, but you do have to throw in the fact that it was awfully iconic. It's the outfit that shows up on all the lunchboxes after all.

My favorite incarnation has to be Darwyn Cooke's version, with the leather pleated skirt, and the bustier and breastpiece and tiara. It just looks FABULOUS! I am also quite fond of the white outfit with the armor that Alex Ross used. But I can live with her starry tiny blue bottoms. I have always liked the eagle shiny "W" thingie across her chest for some reason. And the boots. I've always liked the boots. There was that wonderful cover with just her booted foot on top of Batman's head, from the Hiketeaia(?) that was just so perfect. You knew EXACTLY who that was...just from the red and white boot.

Gold spurs aren't going to cut it.

So, I imagine that this little blip in her sartorial history will be just that. A blip. Until the NEXT big revamp of her comic.

I am less thrilled with the idea of throwing out ALL of her history, and having her younger, orphaned, and raised by some weird group. It just messes with too MUCH history that she shares with the rest of the DC Universe. I hated it when they threw out twenty some-odd years of continuity at Marvel, and I'm not any happier with the same prospect at DC.

I admit it. I'm an old fuddy-duddy, and dammit, I ENJOY continuity! The ability to reel off huge quantities of bizzare continuity to one's friends and family is the thing that separates the truly dedicated fan from the wannabees. It's a SKILL! A skill that needs honing! And suddenly, I am supposed to believe that none of that happened?

The first stories that were presented in Wonder Woman #600 were a nod to that history. Which makes the sudden about-face in the final JMS story so...jarring.

So, I've been enjoying the heck out of Wonder Woman. Up until now. I've been enjoying the heck out of Power Girl. Up until now. So, for the time being, I won't be picking up either book, until they get through this little hiccough. Thank goodness for Birds of Prey!