Coming Soon: Superhero Fest [Part II]

A little later than I intended, but nevertheless here it is now, the second part of some notable superhero movies coming out this year.


The second superhero movie with a green colour scheme this year. I'm not all that excited, to be perfectly honest, but I wouldn't go so far as predicting that it's going to be a total waste of time. I don't expect it to rise above the genre. Think of the kind of fun and laughs you had with other superhero movies like Fantastic Four [2005], etc.


Reasons to be Excited
1. Ryan Reynolds in a familiar territory; playing a lovable douchebag.

2. I don't know if the CGI Green Lantern suit is something to be excited about, but heck, to each his or her own.

3. Tim Robbins! Although he didn't exactly went under the radar, still I miss the guy somehow.

4. It's easier going into this movie with low expectations. For example, I know almost nothing about the comic book series, so I'll just take the movie as it is.




"Please make a good X-Men movie this time around!" was the prayer I said when I heard of this movie. Now, I am a fan of the movie adaptations, the best in my opinion being X-2: X-Men United [2003]. But every release after that went from mediocre to bad... Especially that Wolverine spin-off movie. It was such a bore and a trite, I groaned audibly after the first fifteen minutes.

But this time around it does sound promising. What made X3 [2006] and X-Men Origins: Wolverine [2009] such a bore was due to abandoning characterisations in favour of visual spectacle (and of course, merchandising opportunities). With this prequel, it looks like it's going back to what made the first installment such a stand-out from all other superhero movies.


Reasons to be Excited
1. A reboot, possibly meaning that it will go back to its roots; a superhero movie with a great political subtext, an ensemble of interesting characters, and so on.

2. We'll get to see how Professor X and Magneto agreed to disagree and part ways.

3. The cast; Kevin Bacon (omg!!), James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, among others.

4. Directed by Matthew Vaughn, he did a superb job with Kick-Ass [2010], so... believe!