Tiny But Loud

This wasn't what I was originally going to blog about today. I was just over at "DC Women Kicking Butt" and then at CBR, and I am filled with rage. LOUD rage.

The CBR has done an interview with Judd Winick, and got his thoughts about how Justice League: Generation Lost is going, and finishing up, and what the heck is happening with Jaime and so on and so forth. The so forth of course refers to his mind-boggling retcon of Ice's origin. And this is what he had to say.

"...there's a tiny but loud contingent of people on the web who didn't like that we
revamped her origin..."

The contempt in that sentence is simply dripping.

Well count me as one of the tiny but loud continent. Because I was VERY loud about it and I will CONTINUE to be very loud about it. It was a gawdawful revamp. There was and remains NO real reason to retcon her story. There was nothing WRONG with her story. Giving her a generic X-Men story is neither daring or original. There is also the tiny little problem that involves the whole friggin' Justice League since there was a whole story arc concerning her Ice Kingdom and family. But hey, he's Judd Winick! He can throw continuity out of the window if he wants to, because he's just so hip and happening. And can't be bothered to actually read up on the characters that he's writing.

Could someone enlighten me, as to HOW exactly Ice's new origin story has had ANY sort of bearing on the story being told? What was the point? And I'm not even going to go INTO how enraged I'll be if he does the unthinkable and actually kills off Jaime. Jaime is one of the very best new characters to come down the pike in a very very long time. Hell, Winick, while you're at it, why don't you kill off the Reyes as well? There's a sweet little girl just waiting to get whacked, and you're just the man for the job!

I should probably stop now. I'm getting awfully cranky. Maybe I'll go and get my new books and see what happened in JLI. But I'm not feeling particularly hopeful.